Keep taps running!

February 23, 2015

To Comment on this article  Click Here


Currently we are experiencing a large number of frozen services. Crews are able to thaw approximately 5 services per day.

The current wait times to have a service thawed and water restored can exceed one week.

Due to the current depth of frost and Continuing cold temperatures, all residents are asked to let a tap in their house run continuously (about 1/4 inch stream - approximately the width of a drinking straw). The cost of doing so is minimal. The municipal expenses incurred to thaw a line results in a cost to all water system users.

 This situation is not unique to this municipality due to the extreme cold temperatures.

Residents should be aware that reduced water pressure in their home could be an indication of water lines freezing. If you notice this, run a tap full strength and call the Water Department.

With a quick internet search, you will find a number of tips that may assist with helping to avoid freezing pipes within your home.

The water service from the property line (curbstop) to and inside the house/building is the responsibility of the property owner.

Why do water lines freeze?

The frost depth (depth to which ground is frozen) does not normally reach the level of municipal buried infrastructure. However, with extremely cold temperatures, like those we have experienced this winter, frost can push to a depth that will freeze water services. As the water is already cold when it enters the water distribution system, it takes very little exposure to colder temperatures for it to freeze.

Click the orange arrow to read the second column

How do municipal staff thaw the lines?

Staff use two types of thawing equipment (hot water and electricity) to safely thaw services. Some of the services require digging at the curb stop and the water main to successfully thaw them. If digging is required, then snow has to be cleared and locates secured.

 Who do I contact?

If you suspect your service may be freezing or has frozen, call the Water Departrnent at 519.396.4660, after hours call the emergency line at 519.396.1511.

Survey  Saugeen Times Read More
Survey Kincardine Read More
Survey  Walkerton News Read More

Click on the ads for more information

for world news, books, sports, movies ...

Monday, February 23, 2015