Kincardine council has approved a contract with the
Kincardine and District Chamber of Commerce and the Business
Improvement Area (BIA) to complete the implementation of the Kincardine
Integrated Community Sustainability Plan (ICSP)
The agreement was brought forward in committee-of-the-whole Wednesday night (April 2) for further discussion.
Councillor Kenneth Craig wanted more information about the list of tasks to be completed.
That list has been embellished as follows (the additional information is in bold):
- Develop and implement a volunteer development and animation program - Create
a two-way data base for volunteers and volunteer organizations. The
term "animation" is from the ICSP, this involves increasing the
activity, energy and profile of the municipality.
- Facilitate implementation of the Arts, Culture and Heritage Plan strategies - In
partnership with the arts groups and councillor Jacqueline Faubert,
assist with the roll out, help publicize and wherever possible, assist
with implementation of the plan.
- Develop a framework for a visiting family relations program - Create an on-line/hard-copy package for locals to help engage their visitors.
- Develop a business welcome protocol with community partners - Work
with local businesses to create an on-line/hard-copy/one-on-one program
to engage newcomers into various aspects of the community (volunteer
opportunities, recreation, accommodation, municipal resources, and more)
- Work with the County of Bruce Planning Department on implementation of the Business Retention and Expansion Study
provided by the RED (Rural Economic Development) grant - self-explanatory.
- Fully implement the free wifi system in Lakeside Downtown Kincardine in partnership with Bruce Telecom and the municipality - self-explanatory.
- Identify potential higher-tier government grants and private funding for various municipal projects - self-explanatory.
- Continuation of bi-weekly Tourism Table meetings and implementation of strategies contained in the Tourism Strategic Plan - self-explanatory.
- Continued support to Kincardine Trails on development of the bike path on the B-line - As we have done all along, work with and assist other groups to move this project forward.
- Support for the BIA and its Downtown Ambassador program so that it is sustainable - As
this program receives no municipal funding, we will explore other
funding sources and attempt to provide this service for years to come.
- Seek funding and Phase 1 planning for a public walkway linking Queen's Lookout to the existing pathway to the beach - Although
we did not receive the requested amount for Phase 1 in the 2014 budget,
we will continue to seek other funding and explore the possibility of
this walkway that will create another link from the beach to the
- Input to the 2015 tourism budget - self-explanatory.
- Further enhancement for the municipal brand through the RED grant - self-explanatory.
- Continue to provide options for enhanced customer service training - self-explanatory.
- Continue to seek marketing opportunities for existing community festivals and events and investigate new “shoulder season”
opportunities - self-explanatory.
Craig said he appreciated the explanation in the list of tasks to be undertaken by the chamber and BIA.
He said there is always concern with a contract that expires Dec. 31, particularly in an election year.
"I hope Team Kincardine (which includes the chamber, BIA and the
Penetangore Regional Economic Development Corporation) will continue
this work," said Craig, "and I hope it is passed in the next budget."
Maureen Couture said the proposal could always come to council in
November for pre-budget approval, the same way the issue of hiring
summer students is done.
Mayor Larry Kraemer said that staff is allowed to approve some
expenses, up to a certain amount, so this could be left up to staff.
Craig asked for a staff recommendation to be brought forward on the best way to deal with this agreement.
Council approved the contract with Team Kincardine for implementation of the ICSP.
stops when you move your mouse inside the scroll area. You
can click on the ads for more
|| Survey Participate in our latest Kincardine Times
|| Survey Participate in our latest Saugeen Times survey
|| Survey Participate in our latest Walkerton News survey